Hello everyone and welcome to my first blog of the school year!
During the school holidays lots of work was completed on our Riverside site.
Main areas were:
- All eight flat roofs were resurfaced, thanks to a substantial grant from Calderdale council
- The school hall was fully redecorated, new vertical blinds fitted – AND the sound system sorted!
- Parquet floor in the hall fully sanded and varnished
- New fire doors in the hall
- Fire doors at the top of each flight of steps – (a recommendation from the last West Yorkshire Fire service inspection)
- All the interior ceiling tiles damaged by leaking roofs can now be replaced – just waiting for the work schedule
- The river side exit has had some remedial work completed, (again, due to water damage)
- The music room and Mrs Scarf’s classroom have been fully redecorated
- New LED lights fitted in the downstairs corridors – they make such a difference
- New signage to the front and side of school
Outstanding work from the holiday:
(This work was due to be completed by workplace volunteers from a national bank; unfortunately, at very short notice we were informed that they were unable to undertake the work)
- Redecoration of the Science room
- Redecoration of riverside exit – would love a graffiti artist to wield their magic…?
- Painting of the fence and wooden troughs/boxes in the playground
- Traversing wall in the playground completed
- Trimtrail – remedial repair work completed -awaiting contractor start date
- LED lights fitted to upstairs corridor
Grateful thanks to our site manager, Paul Clayton. He has worked tirelessly throughout the six week holiday to ensure that all work was completed and that the school was ready for September 1st – many thanks Paul!
If any parents feel that they could give some time to volunteer to help with any of the outstanding work from summer PLEASE pop into school or catch me in the playground, I’ll add you to my list!
We are now serving approximately 300 meals a day, not only to Riverside children but to four local schools. A new menu is in place and I would ask you to encourage your child(ren) to have a school lunch.
Any parents who would like to sample our new lunchtime menus are most welcome – just pop into the office and book a meal for the day you can stay – table clearing is optional!
Finally, a big thank you to all parents who have supported our school dress code initiative, the new Riverside polo shirt. The children look very smart, and are so proud of their polo shirt/black jumper combination. I know that some parents have strong opinions about this initiative, and, indeed, have shared those opinions with me; BUT have still supported the school with this endeavour, – despite their personal misgivings.
I am very grateful.